If you’ve ever thought it’s not possible to change careers, find a new purpose in life, or eat what you love and still feel healthy (and happy), then this episode is for you!
Jessie Sheehan, a cookbook author, food writer, and recipe developer, proves that you absolutely can have your cake and eat it, too. While her book The Vintage Baker was named one of the Washington Post’s best cookbooks of 2018 and is beloved by Oprah, Jessie didn’t become a successful baker until later in life.
After abandoning an unfulfilling legal career and becoming a stay-at-home mom, Jessie found herself craving something sweeter. She courageously walked into Baked in Red Hook, Brooklyn, asking to work for free in exchange for baking experience, soon working her way up to assistant pastry chef.
Then when Jessie was diagnosed with breast cancer at 41-years old, the bakery became the place where she found solace. Her time at work made her feel powerful and optimistic and more like herself again. While she tapped into the therapeutic benefits of baking, she also found purpose within the walls of the bakery, and appreciated the matter-of-fact way she was able to talk to her younger colleagues about her illness.
Since recovering from cancer, Jessie now creates unfussy, old-school American desserts and shares how simple and attainable it can be for all of us to bake with a modern twist. Even more importantly, her story of resiliency and healing demonstrates that no matter what curve balls life throws your way, you can always get back up again.
“Be in the moment and take advantage of what the universe is giving you each and every day as opposed to always being in the future.” ~Jessie Sheehan
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How to overcome rejection and go after what you want
- The best advice (EVER!) on how to talk to someone with cancer or any disease
- Why baking is therapeutic and how to tap into its healing powers
- How being too restrictive with our children’s diet can often backfire
- Practical strategies to make a big career shift at any stage in life
- How to approach food guilt
- A simple way to support your loved ones as they deal with an illness
- The balanced philosophy to adopt so you that you can live life on your terms
You’ll feel empowered to go after your dreams so that you can have your cake and eat it, too!
One more thing: Please take a moment to rate and review the podcast to help spread the word, so that I can have more incredible guests like Jessie on Once Upon a Food Story!