This is my first solo episode where I’m recording by myself without a guest! I’m diving into a topic that has completely transformed my personal approach to eating: using foods to boost your mood. And because I’ve experienced firsthand how it can make planning meals feel more purposeful (and fun!), I’m bringing you along, so that you can give it a try, too…
While food can’t solve all our world problems, it can impact how you feel which of course affects EVERYTHING else. Since we all could use simple ways to lift our spirits and give us uplifting energy as we navigate our days, I’m breaking it down into actionable steps to take to start adding mood-boosting foods to your plate right away.
The best part? You don’t need to make “a plan” or wait until Monday. You don’t need a ton of money, or special kitchen gadgets, or access to a specialty grocery store. Whatever your life circumstances or budget might be, you can begin right now with your very next meal!
If you’re a skeptical person, you might be thinking, “This sounds good in theory, but where’s the evidence? Is the Food-Mood Connection real?” I understand! As a former attorney, I love evidence too. I’m sharing results of science-backed studies linking food and its impact on mood, with more and more research being done every day.
Bottom line: The food-mood connection is real, AND it’s very empowering. This is an opportunity for you to take charge, plan ahead, and make proactive choices that steer your mood and your entire day!
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Cutting-edge research on the food-mood connection and ways food can be a powerful tool to add to your mental health toolbox
- The mood-boosting effects of color and how to incorporate it both on your plate and in your life
- Why gut health is essential for a balanced mood, and which gut-healing foods can help
- Why loading up on magnesium-rich foods can lower anxiety and stress
- Specific foods to reach for when you want to feel energized and uplifted
- Ways to experience the therapeutic benefits of nature
- Easy tips to create an environment that inspires peace and calm
- Why integrating movement will bring more energy and flow in your day
- The one easy thing you can do to make someone else’s day and positively impact your own
Make sure to stick around until the end to get a behind-the-scenes peek on the writing process for my upcoming book, and learn why I’ll be taking a temporary hiatus from recording new episodes.
In the meantime, there are dozens and dozens of inspiring conversations for you to explore that you might have missed or may want to revisit again. I’ll be back soon with renewed energy and a lineup of awesome guests.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you for listening and for being an invaluable part of the Once Upon a Food Story Once Upon a Food Story Community.
Food and mood: Is there a connection? – Harvard Women’s Health Watch
Can You Eat Yourself Happy? – Psychology Today
Nutritional psychiatry: Your brain on food – Harvard Health Publishing