How Your Cultural Heritage Influences Your Food Story with Shanika Graham-White
Food can evoke powerful memories and feelings.
We all have dishes that remind us of a particular time and place, and eating that meal transports us back there.
Maybe you gravitate to certain smells or flavors because they bring you to somewhere familiar or comforting.
We’re talking about how your roots influence your food story when it comes to cooking and eating. Specifically, how do these foods make you feel?
How can you stay true to all of those parts of your story that make you who you are and embrace and adapt them in a way that feels good to you today?
Shanika Graham-White shares how her southern upbringing and Jamaican heritage are a part of her flavorful creations from her kitchen. While she doesn’t come from a line of cooks, one of the main ways that her family often came together was through food, music, and laughter. Today, Shanika is a food stylist and recipe developer whose blog, Orchids + Sweet Tea, is a go-to source for comfort food and sweets with a healthy twist. She creates dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan versions of your old and new favorites that you can find on her blog and in her cookbook, Orchids + Sweet Tea: Plant-Forward Recipes with Jamaican Flavor & Southern Charm.
One more thing: You’re likely to get VERY hungry listening to our engaging and lively conversation. You’ve been warned!
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How to appreciate the food culture you were exposed to as a child
- Sustainable ways to transition into a healthier lifestyle
- Tips to talk to kids who are picky eaters
- An easy approach to adapt your favorite comfort foods for a healthier spin
- When to go for the real deal and not try to “healthify” a recipe
- One piece of advice that will help you feel in alignment with your true self
You’ll be inspired to think about how your own roots have shaped your tastes and your experience around food, and how you can embrace those parts today.
Podcast Partner: Pique Tea Use code ELISEM for a discount on your order!
Learn more about Shanika Graham-White:
- Orchids + Sweet Tea
- Instagram: @OrchidsNSweetTea_
- Facebook: @OrchidsNSweetTea
- Orchids & Sweet Tea: Plant-Forward Recipes with Jamaican Flavor & Southern Charm Available October 26, 2021