Do You Have A Secret? I Have Ten.
Can you think of something about yourself that most people don’t know? (And I’m not just asking about what or how you’re eating.) Something real. Something personal. Something uniquely you.
Do you sing show tunes in the shower? Have an unhealthy obsession with sriracha? Secretly watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (as a guilty pleasure, of course)? Maybe you were president of your high school Drama Club, or traveled to the other side of the world where you met the love of your life. Perhaps you fantasize about owning a restaurant and becoming a famous world-class chef.
We all have dreams, stories, and traits that we keep under wraps, consciously or unconsciously. Yet, we lock them away from most of the world, even though they add so much to our sparkle… and uniqueness!
Here’s why sharing our personal experiences matters so much:
Because these details are more than just silly, or fun, or “guilty” pleasures. They remind us of who we are at our core.
Too often, we get stuck in our own stories and create labels that don’t honor our amazing multiple dimensions and dynamic life experiences.
“I struggle with ______.”
“I want to be ______.”
“I’m always the person that _______.”
We all do it to ourselves, and the people around us. Think about it. In the first moments of meeting someone, we tend to assign a title in our brains and file them away. Even something as simple as being vegan or paleo can spark assumptions.
But, when we pause to reflect on the course of our lives, the turning points, and the highlights, we remember: we're so much more than our jobs, relationships, and what’s on our plates. We’re a mash-up of adventure, strength, humor, and joy.
Love hides in the details. And when we don’t embrace and share our personal stories, we hold ourselves back from really connecting with the people around us.
So, in the spirit of opening up & sharing, I’ll start! Here are 10 fun(ny) little-known facts about me.
And, since it’s my birthday, I would love for you to drop in some shiny trivia tidbits about yourself in the comments below. (C’mon. I don’t ask for much.) I’ll even randomly select one lucky reader to receive a scrumptious treat. (Just because it’s my birthday, I shouldn’t have ALL the fun … or all the chocolate. Hint.)
10 Delicious Details About Me
1. My parents named me after Beethoven’s Fur Elise. Classy!
2. I went to an all-girls school in Los Angeles, where I was voted “Most Likely to be Stung by Sting”. Somehow this still hasn’t happened, despite the fact that I was on a deserted island with him, in a bikini. (Ok, I was on my honeymoon at the time… and no, I am not making this up.)
3. My family spends every summer at a dude ranch in Montana pretending we’re cowboys. Yep, boots, hats, horses and all. Yeehaw!
4. I met my husband at the gym. On a stairmaster to be exact. A friend introduced us, insisting we’d be perfect for each other. Guess she had a point.
5. I don't actually know how to turn the TV on in my house (with all the crazy remotes)... and I refuse to learn. What are a husband and two sons for, anyway?
6. I love 80’s music, and if you walk into my kitchen at just the right time, you might catch me singing anything by Madonna into my spatula.
7. I keep homemade cookies in my freezer for those times you just need the real deal. That’s right - white sugar, white flour, butter and all. (I’m more of a salty than a sweet type - my family eats the cookies while I munch on sweet potato fries. Yum!)
8. Prior to launching Kale & Chocolate, I practiced immigration law at the Department of Justice. For my first job, I clerked for 9 judges at the same time. (And if you’re wondering, it’s nothing like Law & Order.)
9. One of the best days of my life was when I ran the Boston Marathon in 3:41, marking a personal best. I still run, but just for fun.
10. When I was very young, my dad would seal the fridge doors with a padlock at night. While this was meant to keep him out of the fridge – not my sister, brother or me - we became very crafty at wedging open the doors and getting our little hands inside.
Now it’s your turn! Don’t be shy. Time to share a delicious detail (or a few!) about YOU in the comments below. Besides, nothing makes me happier than spending my birthday sipping green tea and reading your juicy answers. Ready, set, go!
**UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who shared a fun fact about themselves in the comments. I loved learning more about you all. I have randomly selected a winner, and Hannah will be receiving a box of my favorite deep dark chocolates delivered to her doorstep. Yum!